WordVersioning

May 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Hi there,

I was working on the *same exact thing* for the past days (didn't know your project was out there)! Well, OK, my approach was a little more advanced but I'll definitley take a look at your sources some day and try to add my two cents from time to time.

Cheers

May 27, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Hi,

that sounds interessting. What is your approach? I´m very interessted in comments and suggestions and would be glad if you would support this project.

cu - Philipp

May 28, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Hi,

so far the main differences are:

• In my project (some day, maybe) one can not only use subversion but any other versioning system- such as bazaar for example.
  • Then you'll have some kind of 'ACL'. Couldn't get rid of that yet. (It’s a simple thing but it is hard for me to explain it in one word.)
  • There will be a repository browser.
  • There will be a project browser, which basically works in conjunction with the ACL thing. That means that you can work 'in the boundaries of a project'. E.g. you have to-do lists for every document which you can look at in the project browser. Furthermore you can look at who is actually working on a specific project beside you.
  • There will be an account manager (ACL thing again).
  • Updating from a specific revision is easier.

There's more I've thought of but I 'just' started out. I think it would be cool to have a diff-tool for Excel or/and PowerPoint. With Office XML it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. A lot of work though. Oh and speaking of diff tools, I'm already able to use Word's compare tool. (simple thing)

There are still some main problems with my code. Good object-orientation is very important this time and totally not given at the moment. I only have produced messy code until now.

So there are quite a few ideas floating around my head but I'll have to try to do design the project as maintainable and flexible as possible. That may take some time. Far away from alpha right now.